A couple of months ago Jaybird asked me if I wanted to join his up and coming blog Jaybird Is The Word. After weeks of tireless deliberation I decided what the hell, what have I got to lose? A lot of you may be thinking wow, this guy could be the best addition yet to the blog, he’s smart, witty and knows his sports. Well, you might want to slow your roll a bit. Think of this move more like UTSA recently joining the WAC (Western Athletic Conference for all of the non-sports fans – by the way if you’re not a sports fan you might as well stop reading. Also, I am aware that UTSA might be heading to Conference USA in 2013 but lets forget that for now). Believe me, I am not devaluing Jaybird Is The Word at all. Schools like Boise State, TCU, Arizona and Arizona State have emerged from the WAC and have been very successful.
Enough rambling about the WAC for now, my name is Kyle, known on the blog as The Red Rocket, I’m a ginger, I’m from Conroe, Texas (an hour north of Houston), and my life revolves around sports. My role on this team will be to inform you about all things happening in the world of sports. Here is just a quick overview of sports teams, players and topics that I can’t get enough of:
- Texas A&M
- Houston sports teams (Texans, Dynamo, Astros, Rockets)
- Soccer – Especially the MLS
- Christiano Ronaldo
- Manchester United
- Golf (when Tiger is in contention)
- Tiger Woods
- Lebron James… not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6. Just wait, the King will deliver
- The Dream Team
- Dave South’s call of the last play in the 1998 Big 12 Championship game “OH DOCTOR!”
- The SEC
- Athletes that are gingers – Did you know that former Boise State and Houston Texans QB Jared Zabransky can throw a potato 100 yards? Impressive, I know.
Also, just to provide you with fair warning, I am not afraid to bring the hate when it comes to teams and players that I just can’t stand. Here’s my “most hated” list (and believe me, I could go on for days but I will try and keep it short).
- Albert Pujols
- Dallas sports teams
- The Big 12-2-1-1+2
- Phil “tight shirts” Mickelson
- Mexico… the national soccer team
- All NL Central teams that are not from Houston
- The San Antonio Spurs (especially Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen)
- Kevin Garnett (Everything is possible except when you’re 80 years old, a punk, and have to play the heat in the playoffs every year… 0-2)
- Matt Bonner… yes I know, but he stole my nickname and plays for the Spurs.
Don’t be afraid to post your comments, I will try and respond to them and get some discussion going. That way, I feel as though I’m not just ranting on and on about topics you don’t really care about. Well, I guess that’s it for now. Hope all you sports fans out there will enjoy this as much as I will.
– Kyle, The Red Rocket